Ten-Point Stance: Must-see Moss TV could kill an NFL comeback
The most compelling television going at the moment isn’t a display about zombies or chefs or folks stranded on an island or Mitt Romney’s hair. No, the most compelling point on tv now is a single person sitting in front of camera and talking to his personal computer. It really is Randy Moss.
If you have not observed Moss’ stream-of-consciousness rants that are speedily becoming an Internet sensation, effectively, you have missed some unbelievable stuff. It is challenging to describe. It really is a mixture of a train wreck, stunning visual, smart talk, dumb talk, infantile actions, and just about every thing in between.
In the course of the previous 48 hours, Moss has video-chatted up the following with fans: creating a tell-all book his poop (you examine that appropriately) his upcoming try to return to the NFL investing Valentine’s Day with his kids mocking past critics like Jerry Rice and Joe Buck selecting his nose on camera and wiping the excavated obtaining on his sleeve (you read that correctly, also) saying he no longer requirements to be a No. one receiver blasting the media praising the media telling Cris Carter stories and, did I mention he wishes to pen a inform-all book?
What Moss is undertaking is writing another chapter in the evolution of the athlete and social media. It really is stunning to observe.
In several approaches, it really is much more head-shaking than the infamous Stephon Marbury meltdown because you don’t know if Moss is losing his thoughts, playing us for suckers, or the two. Or, if an impending meltdown is on the way. Moss appears on the channel, chats and answers questions for an hour, and then guarantees to come back. He tweeted on Monday he’ll be back on Wednesday evening. It is like a Tv series.
Every person is watching, including NFL team executives. I spoke to one who mentioned he has observed the Moss video clips and believes Moss is utterly obliterating his chances of returning to the NFL. Oh, yeah, I forgot: on one of his video streams, Moss announced he was attempting a comeback.
The executive said his franchise was once considering Moss, but right after watching the video stream, the group is no longer undertaking so. So even though Moss may possibly be producing buzz for a future display, he might also be utterly destroying any comeback opportunity.
The group executive noted that the a single factor they would want to see from Moss is stability in his daily life. Not so positive a group watching Moss select his nose and wipe it on his sleeve inspires a sense Moss has changed from a guy-kid to a grownup. My guess is these Moss movies are spreading across football like wildfire, and more than a handful of teams that may possibly have considered Moss are no lengthier undertaking so. But I could be wrong.
This has constantly been Randy Moss — compelling, irresponsible, with out a filter, impossible to disregard, extremely hard to coach. The new-media universe is ideal for him.
I do not believe a team will trust Moss sufficient to seriously invest in him. Perhaps a group takes a 1-year flier, but Moss has quit on more than a single franchise, and several coaches and team executives have lengthy memories. They will not trust Moss. He’ll want to prove himself. And his video debut doesn’t support.
But boy, is it entertaining to view.
2. There is a fantastic deal of interest in totally free-agent cornerback Stanford Routt. Not positive why there is a excellent deal of interest in totally free-agent cornerback Stanford Routt. But there is a great deal of interest in cost-free-agent cornerback Stanford Routt. He’s great, but not Deion Sanders. The interest is but an additional illustration of how teams are desperate for excellent corners, even if they are kinda typical corners (the Raiders released him for salary-cap purposes). In this new passing NFL, where refs contact interference on cornerbacks for obtaining gingivitis, any competent defensive back is going to draw massive interest. Unless he has a limp and 12 toes. Even then …
three. Former 49ers broad receiver Freddie Solomon died this week soon after a battle with cancer. For these who did not know, he was a class act. For the past 20 years, he worked with a county sheriff’s workplace in Florida mentoring little ones. “Freddie and I have been pals for 35 a long time, and he was one particular of the most gentle and greatest males I have ever met in my lifestyle,” former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr. explained. “Scores of generations will remember Freddie by means of their kids and the youth he’s aided more than all these decades. I have in no way met a guy who cared so a lot about the human race, and there will in no way be one more Freddie.”
How much did DeBartolo care for Solomon? According to the San Jose Mercury News, in the final weeks and days of Solomon’s lifestyle, DeBartolo took Solomon to chemo sessions and sat with him whilst he received the remedy.
four. Jerry Jones tells the SportsBusiness Journal that Dallas will bid on Super Bowl L (that’s 50 for the Roman-numeral-challenged like myself). And Dallas may possibly get it, simply because Dallas has a lot of money, stadium seat capability and Jones is a effective owner. The simple fact that 1 of the worst-run Super Bowls in historical past was held there final year won’t matter. As Moss when said: straight money, homey.
five. Wouldn’t be stunned if Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and Moss all end up in Washington. One particular spot I know Manning is not going: Houston.
6a. Champ of the week: Moss. Just ’cause.
6b. Chump of the week: Giants operating back Brandon Jacobs. He after told Jets coach Rex Ryan “it really is time to shut up, fat boy.” He also explained the “Jets have a large-mouth, large-belly coach that talks also a lot.” Nicely, Okay then. But now that Jacobs might be discarded by the Giants and become a free agent, he told The New York Instances he would have no difficulty playing for Ryan. Ah, the hypocrisy of some players.
6c. Tweet of the week: Ochocinco to Terrell Owens: “Wake up young black Jedi, tweet you must at this time.”
7. Why in the hell would any player complain about Roger Goodell’s salary?
8. Some group executives tell me they think the early favored to make the Super Bowl up coming season shouldn’t be the Patriots. As a substitute, they are selecting Baltimore.
9. The Cleveland Browns stay uncertain specifically how to take care of operating back Peyton Hillis. Some in the organization want to try and preserve him, although other people want to portion techniques and draft Alabama’s Trent Richardson. I believe the draft alternative will win out, but no one is aware of for specific just however.
10. A sign the Mayans are right: Victor Cruz at the Grammy Awards carrying out the salsa.