Matt Light May Have Outside Chance to Reach Canton and 19 Other Patriots Thoughts
FOXBORO, Mass. — This week at Gillette Stadium has somewhat of a symbolic feel. It began with Matt Light‘s retirement ceremony, and it will conclude with the rookies’ initial practice in the NFL.
With Light in mind, this Two-Moment Drill has a Hall of Fame really feel to it. After, I’ve acquired a checklist of thoughts about the Patriots’ offensive backfield. Let us crack it open.
1. Light’s retirement ceremony was quite nicely carried out. The speeches from Light, owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick had been all terrific. The atmosphere of the Hall of Fame and the supporters in attendance gave it an further boost, also.
two. Light is a no-doubter for the Patriots’ Hall of Fame, but the induction line is going to be crowded. I’d expect broad receiver Troy Brown to get in this year, and linebacker Tedy Bruschi, security Rodney Harrison and Willie McGinest will be eligible in 2013. I believe it’s protected to presume Bruschi will win that 1.
three. Cornerback Ty Law will be eligible in 2014, and linebacker Mike Vrabel will be eligible in 2015. Light will be eligible in 2016, and working back Kevin Faulk might be, too. For the sake of this exercise, let’s say Law gets inducted in 2014 and Harrison gets the get in touch with in 2015. That nevertheless leaves McGinest, Vrabel and former head coach Bill Parcells as Light’s competition in 2016, not to mention the chance of Faulk.
4. It is going to be challenging for any person to beat Faulk in a fan vote, so he’s the largest wild card for Light’s prospective induction in 2016. Either way, individuals two really should get the contact in 2016 and 2017, which could lead to McGinest and Vrabel to slide. It is going to be a while before Parcells gets in, also.
5. Do not neglect about kicker Adam Vinatieri and defensive lineman Richard Seymour, both. And I have no notion how considerably longer quarterback Tom Brady and Belichick stay in the game, but yeah, they will be commemorated by some means.
6. I consider it’s effortless to dismiss Light from the Pro Football Hall of Fame correct now, and I subscribe to that theory, also. But I don’t feel it’s a a hundred percent certainty that Light never gets inducted in Canton. About ten, 15, twenty many years from now, Light won’t be remembered in the same class as Miami’s Jake Extended or Cleveland’s Joe Thomas, but there’s an argument that can be produced in Light’s favor, and I can see the likely for it to obtain some momentum.
7. Here’s how Light gets in: A person appears at Brady’s Hall of Fame career and says the left tackle played a function, irrespective of how big. Then, they will locate the only offensive lineman in history to begin five Super Bowls. (If there are other folks by then, Light will still be known as the 1st to achieve the feat.) And they’ll see the All-Professional nod from 2007 and his Professional Bowl honors, plus the Patriots’ host of accolades for the duration of his tenure. Aside from that, it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising if Brady and Belichick created some calls to vouch for the Light.
eight. Admittedly, it really is even now a longshot, as it nonetheless may well not be enough to sway the voters in Light’s favor. I still believed it was a theory really worth passing along.
9. Left guard Logan Mankins was on hand for the retirement ceremony, and he was coming from a workout so he was sporting gymnasium shorts, which produced it clear he wasn’t wearing a brace or sleeve over his surgically repaired knee. He was also standing around for at least an hour and a half, which I’d have to believe is a sign of progress.
10. I ran into former Patriots operating back Sammy Morris at the ceremony, and he informed me he nevertheless needs to perform in 2012. He created positive to pressure he has not hung it up just however, and he’s exploring his options.
11. Given that Morris has his long term home in the Foxboro location, would he like to rejoin the Patriots? “I have not closed the door on anything at all,” Morris responded.
twelve. I located the Patriots’ determination to sign operating back Joseph Addai to be an exciting one particular, though I want to see him in camp before I know regardless of whether or not he can make the team. As the Patriots’ very best-case scenario, Addai will be a steady role player in the passing game.
13. Then once again, the Patriots already have Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen to play in that capacity, and Faulk desires another chance, also. I thought the Patriots necessary to add a veteran running back, but I’m shocked they went this route, instead than a far more classic among-the-tackles back.
14. I also consider it as a vote of self-assurance for Stevan Ridley, who must be the primary ball carrier. In the same regard, my other thought is it could be a excellent sign for Vereen, too. It really is simple to peg Vereen as a larger asset in the passing game due to the fact of his talent in space, but he should not be labeled as a a single-trick pony. He’s most likely a much better ball carrier than he’s offered credit score for, even though it was tough to get significantly of a read throughout a rookie season in which he had 15 complete carries.
15. Of program, if the Patriots sign a amongst-the-tackles back tomorrow — or, at any point ahead of training camp, genuinely — my final two points will be relatively moot.
16. I am interested to see Navy operating back Eric Kettani in the course of education camp, as well. Consider about it: His summer time in 2011 was wiped out due to a calf injury. He earned a spot on the practice squad just before finding recalled to the Navy. Belichick didn’t want to place Kettani on the reserve/military list at that point because it would have ended his 2011 season, and they held out hope that Kettani would win his appeal and return to New England. Obviously, Belichick likes Kettani, but I haven’t observed him get any substantial operate in practice.
17. With all that said, I wonder if Kettani can be a serviceable between-the-tackles choice. He was really successful for Navy in 2007 and 2008, racking up 1,862 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns. I feel, at this point, it would be premature to assume he’s strictly a blocking fullback.
18. Belichick hasn’t exactly employed a lot of fullbacks in current many years, so it was an eye-opener when he signed two of them this offseason. I came across an exciting stat, even though. In their careers, Spencer Larsen and Tony Fiammetta have combined for just 28 carries for 88 yards. Nonetheless, they’ve turned 11 of these carries (39.3 percent) into 1st downs. Not bad.
19. The Patriots conduct their rookie camp Friday and Saturday, and it will not be overly complicated stuff or anything at all. Maintain in thoughts, the players’ jersey numbers won’t necessarily be long lasting. With 90-man rosters, the rookies will have the lowest priority when choosing their numbers. It’s frequently the case that gamers adjust their numbers at the conclusion of education camp when about three dozen players get released.
twenty. Patriots tight end Daniel Fells got a great deal of advice from former Pats tight finish Alge Crumpler while the two had been together in Atlanta. Whilst speaking of Crumpler’s worth as a leader, Fells said something timely, at least in terms of what rookies could be considering as they get ready to report to their NFL amenities. It really is a peek within their minds as they prepare for a single of the greatest challenges of their enjoying careers.
“Coming in as a rookie, you do not really know what to assume,” Fells stated. “I went into Atlanta not knowing if guys had been going to try out to sabotage you due to the fact you are competing. That is what it is all about. You’re competing for a task, for the exact same place, and so you do not genuinely know if you can trust anybody. But Alge welcomed everybody with open arms.”
Have a query for Jeff Howe? Send it to him by way of at @jeffphowe or send it right here. He will choose a number of queries to answer each week for his mailbag.